Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Book About Fall and Winter Turkey Hunting

© By Othmar Vohringer

I am a self confessed turkey hunting addict with that said it is obvious that I not only hunt turkeys in the traditional spring season but also in the fall and winter, or as I call it The Forgotten Season. It is with turkey hunting enthusiasm that I am announcing today the publishing of a new book.

Fall and Winter Turkey Hunting Handbook
By Steve Hickoff

About the Book
For the sportsman who thrills at the booming gobble of a spring tom during mating season and wants to extend that exhilarating feeling, Steve Hickoffs Fall and Winter Turkey Hunters Handbook offers the perfect remedy. The fall and winter season not only allows a wider variety of hunting options than the spring, but it also requires different hunting tactics and skills. Hickoff examines fall turkey behavior and vocalizations and provides details on locating, scouting, and calling fall gobblers, with tips for mapping flock patterns and identifying changing flock composition. Includes the little-known strategy of hunting turkeys with dogs, using them to find and flush flocks. The material on firearms, ammunition, and archery tackle will benefit all turkey hunters--fall, winter, or spring.

What the Author Says About the Book
My "Fall & Winter Turkey Hunter's Handbook" (240 pp.; 150 color photos) was just released last month by Stackpole Books. I'm happy to say that between my seminar appearances from Maine to Kansas, phone calls, and both radio and magazine interviews, there's been some steady interest.

In the book, I examine fall and winter turkey behavior and vocalizations. I also provide details on locating, scouting, and calling autumn wild turkeys, with tips for patterning birds and identifying changing flock composition. Also discussed here is the strategy of hunting turkeys with dogs by using them to flush flocks before hunters call scattered birds back to their concealed setup. As a bonus, the material on firearms, ammunition, and archery tackle will benefit all turkey hunters—fall, winter, or spring.


To read more about this book or to purchase it go here

Tags: , , ,

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

If you’re interested to learn more about my turkey hunting seminars and clinics schedule, for more information or booking queries contact me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a great challenge to take a bird in the fall, I've only taken a handful of birds during the fall season, but remember each hunt well. I'm planning on going to a friends farm upstate this weekend for a weekend of turkey hunting. Where I hunt in CT I've been hearing the birds gobble in the morning for a bit, but never really heard this before, is it normal for the birds to gobble on the roost in the fall before flying down?

Othmar Vohringer said...

Sorry Marc to let you wait for an answer. I have been very busy the couple days.

Thanks for your comment and question. Fall turkey hunting is a challenge but it also can be much easier to kill a bird in the fall than in the spring.

In answer to your question. What I state here is simply my personal opinion shaped by observations. There are two reasons why a tom gobbles in the fall. One reason is because a loud noise such as a train whistle or some other uncommon loud sound spooked the bird. This is called a “shock gobble”.

Sometimes toms gobble before fly down when a warm weather front moves, or has moved in. Perhaps the unusual warm weather reminds the turkeys of spring, or they simply look forward to enjoy the sunshine. My observation of fall gobbling is that they seem to occur more in warmer days than it cool and clammy days.

Here is another turkey oddity that I have observed a few times and only in the fall. Strutting turkey hens right after fly down!!!

Hope you have a good and safe fall hunting season. Let me know how the how you make out on your turkey hunt.

-Othmar Vohringer-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...